Pages

5.12.2011

A Home Birth Story: A Bradley Birth

I had a beautiful pregnancy lasting a total of 41 weeks. From before the time I knew I would ever be pregnant both Chris and I had decided we wanted to have a home birth. I was excited to learn on September 6, 2010 we were expecting. We got prenatal care from a wonderful midwife. She recommended we take a Bradley Class. I have to admit a first we really thought it over and even thought about not taking it. After all, most everyone says “You never remember anything from class/books anyway.” 

After a whole lot of thinking we decided to take the class to better prepare us for our home birth. I will say that I attribute much of the success of my birth to taking this class. Not only did we both feel educated, confident and prepared but most importantly I trusted my body to do what it was designed to do. I had no doubt in my mind...I COULD DO THIS. 

Towards the end of my pregnancy I kept positive. I read many of the books I had read earlier in my pregnancy to better prepare me mentally. I read blogs and articles that empowered natural childbirth. I went into labor with a positive state of mind. 

I maintained active and ate healthy throughout my pregnancy. It was an amazing pregnancy, I enjoyed every moment of it. Our baby was a total surprise. I had no ultrasounds by choice and I not once got checked for dilatation. 

Birth Story 

Thursday, May 5th I started my “show” all throughout that day until hours before the birth I kept losing bits and pieces. On Thursday throughout the day I exercised on the birthing ball. Towards the end of the night I began to feel light contractions. 

Friday, May 6th I woke up from contractions at around 2:30 a.m. but was able to go back to sleep. At 4:22 a.m. I started timing contractions after waking up from them they were about 7-8 minutes apart. I called my doula and midwife at around 6:30 a.m. to let them know what was going on. By then my contractions were down to 6 minutes apart lasting from 45 seconds to 1 minute. Chris decided to stay home from work in case this really was the “real deal” I continued to have contractions throughout the day. We ate a good breakfast to keep me fueled through the day. 

By 10 a.m. I took a warm shower in effort to better relax my body. I walked around my house and used the birthing ball on and off pausing for contractions. Chris and I spent most the morning chatting away in between contractions. Chris helped me by massaging me and talking me through each contraction. We took a break to eat lunch and I continued to pause between contractions as I ate. Chris made sure all throughout the day I kept hydrated making sure my cup of water was never empty. 

My doula arrived in between our lunch which was around 3 p.m. My family arrived shortly after at around 4 p.m. Contractions were down to 3-5 minutes apart varying in between lasting an average of a minute long. Our doula recommended Chris and I go out for a walk around my neighborhood so we did. 

As we were walking around the neighborhood contractions REALLY picked up towards the end of our walk we were having to stop every 30 seconds. We came back home and I continued using the birthing ball to rock and do hands and knees exercises. It was around 8 p.m. by then and we decided to call the midwife to come over. I took another hot shower and this time contractions were a lot stronger. I took another break to eat dinner.   

My doula and Chris helped me relax by massaging, providing water, and reminding me to breath correctly all throughout the day. Contractions started to last a minute to a minute and a half and some even coming back to back. 

One of the midwives came at around 9:30 p.m. Baby’s heart rate and position was checked, he was a lot lower than midwife had anticipated. She decided it was time to start filling the bathtub for me to get in. Around 10:00 p.m. was when contractions started getting stronger and longer. The other midwife arrived then. It was around 11:30 p.m. when I felt and actually saw my water break under the water. Everyone laughed when I said “Ohh, something came out!” in horror haha. It was clear and it all looked good. Then contractions really started picking up. I suddenly started feeling the urge to push.To be completely honest I thought I was about to poop on myself. There was no doubt in my mind I was going to poop in front of all my spectators   

Isaac’s head came out at 11:57 p.m. and his body came out at 11:59 p.m. it took 5 pushes all together to get him out.   All I remember towards the end was thinking I had no energy left to do this. I kept praying “God give me the strength, because I dont have it” . I ended up laying on my side when birthing. I practiced positions for months and I did not expect to labor in that position. In all reality I wanted to get up on my knees and do it but I had no energy to even try. 

When Isaac came out the first thing I did when they handed him to me was reach underneath his butt to see what sex the baby was haha. I wanted to make sure I was the first to know what my “surprise” baby was. I quickly told Chris it was a BOY. He wanted to know how I knew so fast, no one had said anything. (I explained to him what I had done later. He couldnt believe I had “groped” his child. Hahaha!) I held him and we waited until the cord stopped throbbing so Daddy could clamp it. Then we waited until I gave birth to the placenta. Good grief I felt so much relief after that like I had given birth all over again. 

My amazing husband Chris was by my side every step of the way I honestly could not have done it without him, his support made a huge difference. Having a doula definitely helped as well. They were such an important part of my strength to keep going. Towards the end I did not think I had the energy to push or hold myself up anymore their words of encouragement really made the difference. 

I not once doubted my body in its ability to guide me through the greatest task of my life. Surprisingly I never thought of any type of pain relief. I felt completely relaxed throughout the whole process and I felt in control. I had the birth I wanted, I entered the birth without fear in my mind and left fearless and empowered. 

I dazzled everyone! Chris said I made it look so easy. I did not feel as in control as everyone else thought I was. One of the midwives even said it looked like this was my fifth time around, about how great I did   

I did end up with a second degree tear even with months of prepping my perineum with exercises and such. He had a big noggin   

Isaac Daniel was born Friday, May 6, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. He was 8 lbs 1 oz. and 21 1/4 inches long. 






6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Momma! You did a fantastic job and I mean that. I mean that because you did the research, even long before getting pregnant, and you took the class. Baby is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takes me back to my birth story! I didn't birth how I had practiced either-- ended up in the "no-no" position, on my back! It was the only place I could get relief and a quick nap in between contractions. Very touching story! Congrats on you little baby boy! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mama!! Lovely peaceful birth story. I am almost 39 weeks pregnant with my 5th baby and am planning yet another homebirth. I love reading encouraging stories like this. Enjoy your time with your fresh new little guy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!!! (I'm a Bradley instructor and have had 6 Bradley births and pregnant with number seven. So, I can totally relate to your excitement!!!!

    ENJOY these days and take it easy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Birth Story!!! Congratulations to you and and your husband! Babies are such a blessing and great joy! I thank God everyday for my babies! :) Wishing you guys the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! He is absolutely adorable!! Praise God for such a great delivery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails