On to the recipe. Adapted from Basic Whole Grain Cookies. I made my own variations to make this recipe dairy free.
- 1/2 cup butter ( You could use earth balance or raw coconut oil, we tried both and prefer raw coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar ( organic cane sugar, sugar on the raw, sucanat or agave)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, light or dark, packed (we use sugar on the raw or sucanat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (we always use sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (you probably could use egg replacer, have not tried it though flaxseed and water works well with many recipes)
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat or traditional whole wheat flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup quick rolled oats, ground in a food processor or blender if desired
- 1 cup chocolate chips (we love enjoy life dairy-free chocolate chips)
4) Add chocolate chips
Cover the cookie dough, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled; at least several hours, or overnight. (If you want a thicker cookie, we still have not done this)
- When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2" apart. A cookie scoop works well here (I use pampered chef medium scoop…love it!)
- If the cookie dough has been refrigerated, bake the cookies for 13 to 14 to 14 minutes, until they're a very light golden brown, and a bit darker around the edges. For unrefrigerated dough, bake for about 11 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the baking sheets.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. You can also choose to not add anything at all and they are still super yummy.