Pages

7.16.2010

Honey Spelt Bread


I was talking with my doctor recently about my digestion and we came across the subject of eating whole wheat she recommended I try spelt instead. Let me tell you I LOVE it very much! I tried a few bread recipes in my bread machine and I finally found a winner for my kitchen I have since made it a few times. Its so soft and moist I use it for my sandwich bread and toast ect.


First a little bit about spelt:
Spelt is similar to wheat in appearance. However, spelt has a tougher husk than wheat, which may help protect the nutrients in spelt. Spelt flour has a somewhat nuttier and slightly sweeter flavor than whole wheat flour. Spelt contains more protein than wheat, and the protein in spelt is easier to digest. This means that some people who are allergic to wheat may be able to tolerate spelt. Spelt has gluten, just like wheat, so spelt is not suitable for a gluten-free diet.


Now for the recipe:

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups water (warm for rapid setting)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt -- I use sea salt
2 tablespoons canola oil--I use olive or coconut oil
3 tablespoons honey
3 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
1 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Directions
1. Put the ingredients into your machine in the listed order.
2. Choose setting on bread machine: light crust, 1.5 pound loaf, either the rapid wheat or whole wheat settings work just fine, depending on how much time you have. After the flour has been added, make a depression in the flour to hold the yeast until mixing begins.


This bread is soft and moist. My hubby and I love it.

We have also started eating spelt pasta and last night I made Spelt tortillas which were yummy. Spelt feels a whole lot less heavy after eating so even if you eat a big bowl of spaghetti you dont feel like you weigh 500 pounds. I will be sure to post that soon. Sorry I havent been faster at uploading just been real busy.

See you later!
Jeni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails